So someone told me recently that Downey has a reputation. Like among LA people. Like that they don’t like us. This came as a surprise to me for a couple of reasons. First, I didn’t think LA people knew Downey existed. Second, why they would care is beyond me. But anyway, it got me thinking about all the cool things we have here in D-town that set us apart from the surrounding cities. We may not be Los Angeles, but we are significant. We’re not just a quaint little small town. Although we do have that small town feel.
Here’s a quick list of some cool things we got:
3. A nationally recognized rehabilitation center
4. A courthouse
5. Our own police dept
6. Our own fire dept
8. A mall
11. A beautiful, professional Civic Theater that is now being booked as a concert venue with some pretty big names.
12. A brand-new Space Museum
13. As of last Saturday, protests. That’s right, people. We are a city that cares about stuff.
16. Our own Civic Light Opera
17. Our own professional Symphony
18. Weird Al Yankivic is from here. You read that right.
19. The world’s oldest operating McDonald’s
20. the very first Taco Bell
21. A superior Farmer’s Market (and I say this as a total junkie)
22. Our rich and lengthy history, including the hometown of The Carpenter’s, our connection to NASA and the aerospace industry, and much, much more.
23. Last but certainly not least, Downey Arts Ryan Gosling
Anything I’m forgetting?